If you are a single parent (separated, divorced, or widowed) or intend to travel to Turkey with your child without the presence of the second birth parent, Turkish officials may request a letter of consent to ensure that all legal matters pertaining to your child's travel and/or residency period in Turkey are managed appropriately.

Continue reading to find out more about what a Turkish letter of consent is, how to draft one, and where to get a template for drafting one.

A consent letter, known in Turkish as a "muvafakatname," is a notarized document of permission for minors that allows them to travel to Turkey and/or apply for a residence permit while being protected by one of their parents or legal guardian(s).

In order to proceed with legal proceedings involving children under the age of eighteen, Turkish authorities require letters of consent from parents or guardians.

It's possible to approach the task of writing a consent letter for your child in one of two ways.

If you are a parent who is giving consent while traveling outside of Turkey, you may visit the Turkish embassy.

The consent letter will be written and signed on the same day at the embassy by an embassy representative.

A QR code will be generated automatically and saved in the database for the consent letter. The parent can then scan the document and send it to the other parent via QR code.

If you are unable to visit the Turkish embassy, you can have the letter legalized at your nearest notary public.

The consent letter should be apostilled and written in the same format. The document must then be translated and notarized in Turkey.

You can always hire an attorney to draft a consent letter for you if you find the process too difficult. Alternatively, you can submit it to the notary using the template we've created.

If you want more information about the notary process, apostilles, and how to legalize documents in Turkey, head here.

Accompanying Documents

You must bring the necessary accompanying documents whether you are going to the embassy or the notary to draft a consent letter. Passports or identification cards will be required to prove your identity, as well as birth/marriage/death certificates and custody/divorce papers that detail your relationship with the individuals involved.

A letter of guardianship will be required if the child will be living with people who are not their parents.

In order for a consent letter to be valid and accepted by the relevant government entities, it must clearly state the parent's full name, passport number, and the child's full name, passport number, and birth certificate number.

The letter must state who is permitted to look after the child while the parents are gone or unavailable. Include their full name, passport number, home address, and the child's new address. The letter should provide instructions to travel to Turkey and apply for residency.

The letter should also include your contact information, such as your mailing address, email address, and mobile phone number, right beneath your signature.

To download and print a copy of our consent letter template, please click here.

Contact Us

Contact us