What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Residence Permit in Turkey?

This page goes over the precise paperwork you'll need to apply for various resident permits in Turkey.

These Documents Will Be Required for Any Type of Residence Application

  • Residence permit application form (signed by you and/or your legal representative),
  • A photocopy of your passport or another form of identification (pages containing identity information),
  • A photocopy of your entry stamp is required,
  • Your travel visa or e-visa must be photocopied or printed,
  • Four biometric photographs (must be taken within the last 6 months, on a white background),
  • Proof of monthly income of TRY 8.250, first applicant (must be translated and notarized),
  • Payment for the residence permit and card fees,
  • 3-4 tourist itineraries should be designed for the aim of tourism and written in Turkish, if not, translated and notarized,
  • Private health insurance policy first page signed or digitally signed and stamped,
  • Address paper verifying your house address.

Health Insurance That Is Up to Date (Covering the Duration of Your Permit)

  • This information is available from provincial social security agencies. If your country and Turkey have a bilateral social security agreement, it should declare that you are covered by the Turkish system.
  • The Turkish Social Security Institution can provide you with this (SGK). If you apply for a family permit, be sure the provisioning document includes both the sponsor and their family members.
  • After a year in Turkey, you may be asked to produce proof that you applied to SGK to become a general health insurance holder.
  • You may also submit a private health insurance policy, but it must be signed and stamped. Please bring the original/printed to your appointment; it is OK to submit policies that have been digitally signed and stamped.

Documentation of a Lease Agreement for a Place of Residence

  • If you own a residence in Turkey, a photocopy of the title deed is required.
  • If you are a tenant, a notarized copy of your rental contract identifying all adult names.
  • A letter of intent confirming your hotel stay (letter, booking document, receipt, etc.)
  • If you are a student staying in the dorms, a signed and stamped paperwork from your dorm.
  • If you are staying at someone else's home, the host's notarized undertaking is required (if the host is married, also the notarized undertaking of the spouse). Inquire about your Turkish host's Identity Registration Certificate (Vukuatli Nufus Kayit Ornegi)
  • Document proving your registration with the Turkish Address Registration System (AKS) (for renewals)
  • A signed "Residence Document" can be obtained through the province or district registry directorates or through e-Devlet. If you are renewing your residence permit, this document will suffice; however, you will need to present other documents such as your rental contract or title deed if you are applying for the first time.
  • If the property isn't numbered, you'll need the TAPU and the numarataj certificate in some cases.

Additional documents

When applying for certain types of short-term residency, you may be requested to provide supporting documentation.

Scientific research

  • Your visa certifying your stay (such as excavation work and other types of research)
  • A formal document stating the duration and location of your study

Property owners

  • With the numarataj belgesi, a certified photocopy of the signed and stamped title (TAPU) deed is required.

Owners of Businesses or for Commercial Purposes

  • Letter of invitation from the person or company with whom you will be doing business,
  • Certificate of business activity notarized
  • Certificate of tax registration notarized
  • Gazette of the Notarized Trade Registry
  • Authorized signatures list notarized

Educational Training Programs or Exchange Students Are Examples of This

  • Documentation from the host institution or organization (e-signed/signed and stamped)

Participating in a Turkish Language Training Course

  • Your language course visa, which is particular to education (which will be obtained from the foreign representations of the Republic of Turkey)
  • Documents from the host institution or organization where you will be taught


The administration asks for information or documentation regarding your vacation plans and accommodations. Since February 10, 2022, you must bring these plans to your interview, which must be written in Turkish.

  • They want details for your planned trip, including flights and hotels, from Booking.com, Expedia.com, Airbnb.com, Budget.com, Enterprise.com, FlyPGS.com, TurkishAirlines.com, and other sites in Turkish.
  • An apostilled, translated, and notarized marriage certificate is necessary if a short-term residence permit is requested if applying for a family or a real estate residence permit. (At the appointment, please bring the original papers.)

Being Subjected to Medical Treatment

  • Document confirming your admission to the hospital and registration for treatment.
  • The document must also include a timeline for your treatment and be signed by both the head physician (başhekim) and the specialist treating you throughout that time.

Important Things to Remember When Submitting Documentation to Turkish Officials

If the document was obtained from Turkish authorities, it should be e-signed (e-imza) or signed (called "ıslak imza" in Turkey) and either sealed (mühürlü) or stamped (kaşeli).

A translation and notarization of the document are required if obtained from a provincial or district directorate of register. An apostille is also required if the document was received from a foreign country.

Take, for example, the situation in which an apostille cannot be obtained, and your country is not a party to the Apostille Convention. In that instance, you will need to have the document validated by the appropriate authorities in your nation, such as the consulate and embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Suggestions for Filing a Residence Permit Application for Your Children

You should provide a copy of both parents' passports, which should be translated and notarized if they are not in Latin characters, as well as a copy of your rental agreement and an undertaking. In addition to the above documents, a copy of the first page of the parents' residency applications should be submitted for the child or children.

If your children's passports or identification documents do not contain the names of their father and mother, you will be required to provide a certified or apostilled birth certificate.

If your native country is a party to the Apostille Convention, getting your children's birth certificates verified or apostilled is critical.

You must also attach a certified death certificate to your application if one of the parents has died.

You'll be asked to provide certified or apostilled custody documentation in divorce procedures (divorced, widowed, or separated). If one parent is not present during the interview, a letter of approval from the other parent will be required.

For children under the age of 18, you may be able to provide a translated and certified family book or family record in lieu of a birth certificate if they are under the age of 18. If you live in a country that does not provide marriage certificates, you might submit an offer of a family book to prove that your marriage is valid between both parents.

One Word of Caution about Your Residency Paperwork

Update: Travel itinerary and bank statements or payslips are advised since February 10, 2022. Providing appropriate cash and a solid trip itinerary will limit Article 32 rejection.

The immigration officer inspecting your documents at the Directorate General of Migration Management/provincial offices has the discretion to ask for extra information and records not specified in the requirements.

  • Bank or credit card statements demonstrating sufficient funds (TL 8,250 per month).
  • Birth certificate with apostille/certification (name changes, misspelled names, missing names, or lost identification).

Regarding how long you wish to stay in the country, you have some latitude to exercise your judgment. You shouldn't count on receiving a resident permit for one or two years. A one-year permit is around $60.00 less expensive than a two-year permit, in addition to insurance and other expenditures.

For single or married people, we recommend submitting the required paperwork completed. If you have children, please ask open-ended questions during the interview if you are unsure about anything.

You'll have 30 days to provide any missing or additional documents required to finish your application. Parents attempting to get documents for their children from abroad may be granted an extension by demonstrating good intentions.

These Are the Top 15 Questions You'll Be Asked When Applying for a Residence Permit

Click this link to learn how to answer their inquiries thoroughly.

Have Questions?

If you have any more questions, if you are a basic or premier customer, let's set up a time to talk and go over everything.